Harlow Council leaders threatens legal action over bin collection debacle

THE LEADER of Harlow Council has slammed the operators of the new bin collection contract after a disastrous first week that has seen a large number of bin collections not completed.

Back in September, Harlow Council announced that Veoila had secured the new contract. At the time, Harlow Council told residents. “Harlow Council has procured a new contract for household bin collections and is very pleased with the results. The new contract will come into effect with no disruption to residents and will offer improvements too”.

But now, council boss Mark Ingall has had to lay down the law and has indicated that the council may take legal action. He said: “Throughout last week Harlow Council staff have been repeatedly in contact with Veolia to establish how they intend to put right the problem of delayed waste collections.

Although only a minority of residents have been affected, even one missed collection is one too many. Yesterday I telephoned a Veolia contact six times to get an update, before I eventually managed to speak to somebody. For long periods of the day calls to the contact number I have were not answered and Veolia’s customer care telephone number was engaged.”

“Harlow Council are taking legal advice about how we can seek compensation for Veolia’s failure, in the meantime we call on the company to make a full apology to those residents affected and put their considerable resources fully behind efforts to put the situation right.”

YH contacted Veoila. A spokesperson said: “We are aware that some residents experienced a delay in the collection of their waste or recycling. This is the result of some contractual changes made in order to provide a more efficient service to residents and the community. Veolia is deploying additional resource to address the immediate issue.

This, along with the significant investment already made in new vehicles and digital improvements, means we are confident that residents will soon see a return to an excellent service that we have been providing for 17 years.”

Harlow Council has also provided an update regarding waste collections.

A spokesperson said: “Due to last week’s technical problems there continues to be some delays to the waste and recycling collections carried out by Veolia. We are sorry to residents who are experiencing delays and disruption.

“It is mainly food waste and communal waste collections disrupted and Veolia have put in extra resources to catch up with these collections. Residents are advised that collections are likely to continue to be disrupted while work takes place to catch up with collections.

“We have made it clear to Veolia that it is unacceptable that our residents’ bins are not being emptied when promised and it is unacceptable that these delays are continuing. We continue to work with Veolia to ensure that collections are caught up with as soon as possible, and that scheduled collections get back to normal. We expect to see the situation improve shortly.

The latest information on bin collections will appear every evening at www.harlow.gov.uk/bins. Residents can also report a missed bin collection at www.harlow.gov.uk/report

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Popularity: 3% [?]

10 Responses to "Harlow Council leaders threatens legal action over bin collection debacle"

  1. D.p.l   April 9, 2019 at 7:10 pm

    This is a Bit rich coming from councillor ingall.
    It is his administration party that allowed this to happen in the first place.
    Things we’re good as they were before the change.
    Don’t try fixing something that isn’t broken.
    UKIP Harlows candidate for Harlow common.

  2. Costanza   April 9, 2019 at 7:38 pm

    Mark Ingall’s administration don’t take the bins out, a private company does that. You might as well blame him for Tesco running out of milk if you’re going down that road.

    Love hate? Vote UKIPs.

  3. UKMaverick785   April 9, 2019 at 11:40 pm

    O right! So now pointing out that the Administration have allowed cock-ups to occur is hate now is it? I would say it was merely stating the blindingly obvious! They signed the contract, it’s up to them to get it right! Mark Gough – UKIP Staple Tye

  4. UKMaverick785   April 10, 2019 at 12:42 am

    Could the fact that the contract is £150k less than the old one have anything to do with it do you reckon?

  5. ronnieboy1   April 10, 2019 at 12:59 pm

    costanza …whats ukip got to do with bin collection.? I suggest you practice what you preach and dont denegrate people who dont agree with you.

  6. PTK   April 10, 2019 at 2:47 pm

    If the rubbish collection service had been brought back “in house” instead of being contracted out again, then Harlow District Council would be able to remedy the problem directly, rather than indirectly through court action. Meanwhile, council tax income is being funnelled into the bank balances of shareholders who do nothing to merit their material reward. Perhaps we need councillors committed to social democracy, rather than neo-liberalism.

  7. durcant   April 10, 2019 at 6:22 pm

    PTK I feel every Labour councillor would prefer to have all services in house ,so they are accountable and responsible to the community we service.
    Sadly due to a unfriendly and at time hostile Government who have deliberately set out to destroy local democracy
    ,Harlow like many other councils have limited options but to work with partners.
    Public money private services
    Let’s hope the next government really understands the value not just the cost.
    Thank you.

  8. MickyB77   April 11, 2019 at 6:17 am

    What is all the fuss about ?
    Christmas and Bank Holiday collections are generally two or three days
    adrift, do you see the do-gooders running around like headless chickens and
    accusing all and sundry about dereliction of responsibility ?
    NO, me neither.
    Why weren’t the council aware of the issue, and why didn’t Veolia notify
    the council of the date that the new system would start ?
    They’re both as bad as one another.

  9. tenpin   April 11, 2019 at 8:29 am

    Just to remind readers that it is EU legislation that requires public bodies to advertise contracts across Europe which means that on many occasions these services are provided by businesses based in other countries and profits go back there. From memory these type of teething problems experienced by some residents have occurred every time a new contractor is employed but they are soon ironed out. UKmaverick785 makes the most relevant point, this contract is saving £150k compared with the last contract, in practice this often means cutting corners or cutting costs such as wages.

  10. BarryRuck   April 11, 2019 at 4:44 pm

    Well here we go again – 2nd week running that they have missed our block of flats in Peterswood – and we lost our food waste collection at the same time, so not only is the bin cupboard getting full, it’s getting pretty ripe as well 🙁

You must be logged in to post a comment Login