Mr Halfon said: “I have every sympathy for staff, members and all the sports clubs like Lanbgley Colts, who use the grounds. I understand that the Lease of the club has been sold by Pearsons to developers.
What has happened is unacceptable: – the manner of closure, the lack of notice, and the lack of thought given to the impact on our community.
Only last week I was at the Maypole Club entering a food competition for charity. I also renewed my membership with a £20 fee. It is a wonderful club that has given service and support to many hundreds of residents over the years
Since I heard about the closure yesterday (9 July ), I have:
Spoken to Langley Colts and the Chairman of Harlow Town FC to see if they can offer alternative playing facilities. A meeting has been arranged with both parties.
Had a number of conversations with Rod Bristow, Chief Executive of Pearson UK, about what has occurred and what the company intends to do about the situation. A meeting will be arranged later this week for interested parties, which I am organising in conjunction with Pearson (possibly for Friday lunch-time (12 July 2013).
I have also spoken to the Chief Executive of Harlow Council to see what can be done in terms of Council support;
The following questions must be answered by both the new owners and Pearson UK:
1. How are the staff being looked after in terms of redundancies, pay and conditions?
2. What is happening vis a vis membership subscriptions and refunds to existing members?
3. What arrangements are being made to assist those who had booked functions at the club, including weddings and other special events?
4. What assistance is being given to the many sports clubs who use the grounds and pitches to find alternative accommodation?
5. Why was no notice or any warning given about the selling of the club?
I would urge any Maypole staff, members and local sports clubs to contact me with issues they may have so I can contact Pearson and the Developers on their behalf. Please email me at email@example.com with any details or write to Robert Halfon MP at the Enterprise Hub, Edinburgh Way, CM20 2NQ.
Popularity: 1% [?]