Football: Harlow fightback salvages point for Hawks

Football / Mon 23rd Sep 2013 at 10:24am

Ryman Div One North

Harlow Town 2 v 2 Romford

By Craig Reeves

Courtesy of www.pitchero.com/Harlow

HARLOW had to come back from 2-0 down to salvage a draw at home against Romford. Goals from Alex Read and new signing James Smith got the point for Harlow

Harlow looked to repeat last Saturdays performance against Lowestoft to get them back to winning ways in the league after Harlow lost away to Heybridge Swifts.

It was a slow start for the reds as they struggled to control the midfield and were allowing Redbridge space for chances.However Harlow did have a big penalty claim turned down by referee Neil West. Alex Read appeared to have been dragged down by Redbridge captain Daniel Smith but the appeals were turned down.

When Harlow pushed on to get a goal Redbridge always looked like they would cause problems for Harlow’s defence.

The first chance fell to the away side. Leslie Thompson played a one-two with Mitchell and his shot was well saved by Haydn Dodge. After Harlow had a good ten minute spell, resulting in no clear cut chances, Redbridge started causing more problems. The big strike Geoffrey Mitchell was the main threat for Harlow as he was tough to stop. Thompson was also a threat as he had a couple of half chances.

Junior Dadson went close for Harlow as he raced away from full back Ejay Worrel but his shot despairingly wide.

But Redbridge made their pressure count. They took the lead through Geoffrey Mitchell. A cross from Aiken meets the big man Mitchell who headed past Dodge to put Redbridge 1-0 on 37 minutes.

It got even worse for Harlow on the stroke of half time. Firstly Redbridge were awarded a penalty as Gliddon brought down Damali. Worrel stepped up and his penalty was fantastically saved from Haydn Dodge but his joy was shortly lived as seconds later a cross from the right found Worrel who made up for his mistake to put Redbridge 2-0 before half time.

Another Danny Chapman motivational team talk was needed and obviously payed dividends. Harlow started brightly dominating possession and being first to the ball.

Harlow’s hard work was rewarded. Leon Antoine knocked on a goalkick from Dodge to Alex Read who looked up and lobbed keeper Dean Driscoll to give Harlow a chance in this match on 57 minutes.

Redbridge responded well. They nearly got their two goal lead back. Aiken fired a 20 yard shot just over.

Harlow then switched the momentum again. Junior Dadson dragged back his cross which found Alex Read, who has been firing in goals, could only see his effort hit the post.

Harlow kept on pushing. Darren Williams headed just over from 6 yards from a Shaun Gliddon Freekick. Minutes later a glorious chance for Antoine. Read layed the ball perfectly for Antoine who scuffed his shot and the ball went wide. Harlow were trying desperately to get an equaliser.

Redbridge could have sealed all three points. Substitute Abs Thompson layed the ball on a plate for other substitute Daniel Charge but his shot sailed over.

Harlow got their equaliser on the 90th minute. Junior Dadson raced past the Redbridge full back and pull back a cross which is only half cleared and the ball finds Harlow new boy James Smith who takes one touch and smashes it home to give Harlow a deserved point.

HARLOW: Dodge, Barnard (McKenzie), Parry, Gliddon, Williams, Blewitt (c), Dadson, Smith, Read, Antoine, Curley(Muguo).


Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Football: Harlow fightback salvages point for Hawks:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *