Football: Harlow sunk by superior Swifts

Football / Sat 28th Sep 2013 pm30 03:50pm

FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round

Harlow Town 2 v 3 Heybridge Swifts

AN under-performing Harlow Town handed the initiative and a place in the next round as they went down 3-2 to Heybridge Swifts in the FA Cup.

Harlow started brightly as Alex Read and Leon Antoine linked up well together but throughout the game, they were to be let down by a poor defence and a poorly organised midfield.

In the 3rd minute, Alex Reed produced a sublime back-heel to put Antoine in but his shot was no threat to the keeper, Nicky Eyre.

Harlow keeper, Danny Naisbitt was nearly caught out after a poor clearance. Russell Malton’s attempt to chip him was well wide of the mark.

In the 11th minute, Junior Dadson had a chance saved at point blank.

But it was Heybridge Swifts who took the lead in the 15th minute, when the always dangerous, Luke Callender’s shot from outside the area and it dipped over the keeper and in.

It got worse for the Hawks when Callender scored a second a minute later with a jab from close range.

Harlow’s problem at this stage is that there two wide men were not working hard enough to get back, so it looked like they were playing 4-2-4.

Harlow had a cast-iron call for a penalty when Read produced a great dribble to get into the box. His drag harlow1back hit the hand of the prone Ryan Doyle but the referee, Adrian Waters waved away appeals for a penalty.

The Hawks defending descended into farce especially an attempted passback with his head by Danny Brown.

Donny Barnard was subbed for Scott Curley who immediately impressed by being roasted by the fleet Aaron Greene.

Heybridge picked up where they left off as Michael Cheek walked through the Hawks defence, shot from outside the area only to see the ball bounce off the bar.

With Aaron Greene hitting the base of the post, it looked like more Swifts goals would come.

Stanley Muguo tried to increase the momentum but only succeeded in getting booked by the erratic referee. It was a shame that the supply to Alex Read had dried up as Harlow looked bereft of ideas.

It got worse as Heybridge got their third from a break away that saw Michael Cheek run the length of the pitch and then execute the simple task of pulling the ball square to Reece Morgan to tap in.

The game fell away as Heybridge strolled into the next round until the 84th minute when Junior Dadson got one back with a half volley from outside the area. Two minutes later, Harlow scored again when Alex Read scored from close range.

It was an exciting climax to the game but in the end it was all in vain.


Harlow Town

Naisbitt D, Barnard D (Curley S 30), Eadie L, Gliddon S (Williams S 80), Brown D, Blewitt J, Dadson J, Muguo S, Read A, Antoine L (McKenzie C 65), Stamp S.

Subs not used: Parry G, Hardy J

Heybridge Swifts

Eyre N, Doyle R, Barber D, Morgan R, Hastings T, Amass T, Malton R, Dobinson K, Callender L, Cheek M, Greene A

Subs not used: Pooley M, Newson B, Holdstock T, Moore C, Caley M, Haxell P

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Football: Harlow sunk by superior Swifts:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *