UKIP call for housing repair workers in Harlow to speak english

Politics / Thu 19th Jun 2014 at 09:37am

A MARK HALL ward councillor has called on Harlow Council to help housing repair workers to speak english.

The call comes after a number of complaints that communication between tenants having their houses repaired and contracted workers is almost impossible because the workers claim they do not speak english.

Such a problem came to pass in the Mark Hall ward this week. Whilst many of the problems were centred on the quality of the job, the tenant claimed that matters were not helped by a communication breakdown.

YH put the question to the newly elected ward councillor, Janet Doyle.

Cllr Doyle has only been a councillor for less than a month but agreed that something should be in place.

Cllr Doyle said: “It does seem only fair on both sides that they should be able to communicate in the english language.

“This would especially apply to the elderly in Harlow. They feel especially vulnerable with any stranger coming into their house.”

Her sentiments were echoed by fellow UKIP Mark Hall councillor Jerry Crawford who told YH that he would be monitoring the situation to ensure it would be resolved.

Earlier this year, this matter came up in Thurrock. We understand that Thurrock Council and three of their contractors, Keepmoat, Lakehouse and Mears looked into the proposal to offer english lessons to employees.

YH had not had a response from Keir or Pilon Ltd at the time of publication.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

5 Comments for UKIP call for housing repair workers in Harlow to speak english:

2014-06-19 12:10:35

Shame that the government cut all funding for ESOL classes then.

2014-06-19 12:12:18

would councillor Doyle like UKIP to fund English classes for builders through local councils?

2014-06-19 12:15:54

This makes interesting reading from someone who learned English from reading football magazines. http://www.lrb.co.uk/blog/2014/06/19/peter-pomerantsev/on-supporting-england

2014-06-20 16:08:12

The last time I checked all Kier Harlow staff employed on housing repairs speak English. However, for the modern homes work for bringing properties up to Decent Homes Standard there are a variety of contractors used. Is the Councillor complaining about repairs or improvements - councillors should know the difference? By the way, how do you spell Kier? And the last time I looked, English was a proper noun requiring a capital letter.

2014-06-20 16:15:09

Presumably the councillor is encouraging the tenant to attend the Tenants Forum promoted elsewhere on the YourHarlow website?

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *