XII I II III IIII V VI VII VIII IX X XI

Domestic violence campaign reaches out to over a million

News / Sat 19th Jul 2014 am31 10:49am

THE innovative ‘Standing Together’ against domestic abuse campaign from Essex County Council and Essex Police reached the half way mark last week with great success.

Launched on Monday 9th June, the campaign has gone global with millions of people being made aware of the campaign via Twitter, Facebook and other online, social media channels.

Views of the domestic abuse pages on the Essex Police website, where the campaign has been directing people, have increased by 663% in June 2014 compared to May 2014. In May 2014, the month before the campaign launched, total page views for the month were 1,277. For the month of June, when the campaign has been running, total page views were 9,740, so an incredible increase.

The web film has had over 3,000 views and the campaign has received vast amounts of local and national media coverage. Thousands of leaflets and posters have been distributed throughout the county and the Welsh Assembly Government has backed the campaign, rolling out a similar campaign throughout Wales.

The social media campaign #tweetyourfeet #notodomesticabuse, which has encouraged people to stand against domestic abusing by uploading a picture of their feet on social media has continued, with over a thousand photos now uploaded.

Survivors and victims have also been empowered to come forward, report incidents and tell their stories.

Cabinet member for Children & Families, Cllr Dick Madden said: “The figures are outstanding, I am truly pleased and overwhelmed that not only have we reached so many people, but that survivors and victims have felt empowered to come forward for support because of the campaign.”

One survivor said: “I am aware of the current domestic abuse campaign and seeing how seriously the issue is being taken and the effort to spread the awareness was what inspired me to come forward and ask for help.”

Chief Constable Stephen Kavanagh said: “The reaction from the people of Essex and beyond has been fantastic. Survivors have told us that because of this campaign they have found the courage to leave abusive relationships. I have ‘tweeted my feet’ and I would urge others to continue to show their support.

“Together we can make a difference and help transform people’s lives.”

The campaign will run for another month, concluding at the beginning of August. People can still get involved with #tweetyourfeet #notodomesticabuse and both Essex Police and Essex County Council will be encouraging ‘Tweet your feet Fridays’.

For more information please visit www.essex.police.uk/standingtogether

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Domestic violence campaign reaches out to over a million:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *