Football: Harlow ship eight on the Island

Lifestyle / Wed 28th Oct 2015 at 04:47pm

Concord Rangers 8-0 Harlow Town, Tuesday 27th October 2015, Aspect Arena, Kick-Off 7:45pm, BBC Essex Senior Cup Third Round.

BBC Essex Senior Cup holders Concord Rangers are bidding to become the first club since Walthamstow Avenue in 1960 to win the competition in three successive seasons after easing into the Fourth Round against Harlow Town at Thames Road.

The Beach Boys have set out their marker early, having also lifted the trophy in 2014 and 2015, though Harlow’s own recent heroics in the FA Cup seemed to have taken their toll as the Hawks trailed 5-0 at half time, conceding three more times after the break.

Harlow had ventured into the Fourth Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup with a fine replay win away to Bath City, before narrowly missing out on a place in the First Round Proper with a 2-0 reverse at Vanarama National League neighbours Braintree Town just three days earlier. The hosts brought them back down to earth when broke the deadlock on just 5 minutes, a right flank centre being neatly swept in by Sam Bantick.

The second and third arrived within a minute of one another. The lead was doubled on 17 minutes as Ben Greenhalgh’s corner was knocked down into the path of Steve Cawley, who poked home from close range. Just moments later a floated cross from the left by Greenhalgh was brilliantly nodded in by a diving Taaffe.

It was 4-0 on 24 minutes. Jay Dowie was allowed time and space to arrow a 25-yard shot into the bottom corner just seconds after Bantick had smashed an effort against the crossbar. Greenhalgh and Cawley then combined, with the latter seeing a shot blocked before Taaffe fired the rebound just wide.

Rangers’ fifth goal arrived nine minutes before the break, Greenhalgh running into the area and forcing the ball past goalkeeper Niklas Freund for Adam Bailey-Dennis to bundle home. And they refused to let-up after the break, adding a sixth on 53 minutes. Dowie nodded in Taaffe’s chipped cross and the same player set-up the seventh eleven minutes later as Greenhalgh stooped low to head in.

The scoring was completed on 69 minutes following a trip by Harlow substitute Layne Eadie on Greenhalgh inside the penalty area. Taaffe fired in from the spot to cap a superb individual performance which he’ll hope to replicate in the next round.

Concord Rangers: Ben McNamara, James Hammond, Tom Stephen, Jay Dowie, Steve King (Nathan Fox, 73), Adam Bailey-Dennis (Arthur Lee, 46), Lewis Taaffe, Max Cornhill, Ben Greenhalgh, Steve Cawley (Bertie Brayley, 64), Sam Bantick. Unused Substitutes: James White, Joe Gardner.

Harlow Town: Niklas Freund, Ben Glasgow, Jordan Gill, Sam West, Ibrahima Sonko (Layne Eadie, 46), Sam Holloway, (Fabion Simms, 64), Jared Small, Syrus Gordon, Alex Read (Shane Stamp, 46), Leon Antoine, Joe Benjamin. Unused Substitutes: Ryan Melaugh, Ronnie Carroll.

Bookings: Harlow: Small (7, foul), Stamp (80, foul), Gill (82, foul).

Referee: James Whittaker Jnr (Harlow).

Assistant Referees: Peter Newman (Leigh-on-Sea) and Kirk Edwards (Shoeburyness).

Attendance: 102.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Football: Harlow ship eight on the Island:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *