Katherines family made homeless after chip pan fire destroys kitchen

News / Fri 20th Jul 2018 am31 07:37am

A FAMILY of four have had to move out of their home after a fire destroyed their kitchen last night.

Crews were called to Church End, Harlow, last night and on arrival reported that the fire was in the kitchen and worked to extinguish it by 9.55pm.

Watch Manager Stephen Harrison, Harlow Fire Station, said:

“The fire started after a pan of oil being used to cook chips caught alight and immediately spread to surrounding cupboards.

“The family did exactly the right thing; as soon as the pan caught alight they ensured the internal doors were closed, got out of the property and called 999.

“Our crews worked quickly and effectively to extinguish the fire, and as the doors were closed the fire was contained to the kitchen.

“Incidents like this highlight just how important it is to follow our cooking safety guidelines.”

The kitchen was badly damaged by the fire and the flat is now uninhabitable.

ECFRS’ cooking with oil advice:

Take care when cooking with hot oil – it sets alight easily.
Make sure food is dry before putting it in hot oil so it doesn’t splash.
If the oil starts to smoke – it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
Use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer. They can’t overheat.
If your pan catches fire, turn off the heat if it is safe to do so. Never throw water over it
If you would like to arrange for a free home safety visit, during which smoke alarms will be fitted free of charge, call us on 0300 303 0088 or visit www.essex-fire.gov.uk/book

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Katherines family made homeless after chip pan fire destroys kitchen:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *