Family made homeless after fire in Sumners

News / Sun 11th Nov 2018 pm30 03:09pm

FIRE Crews were called to a flat after the resident returned home to hear the smoke alarm going off and the property full of smoke.

On arrival at Taylifers in the Sumners, firefighters entered the building to find the cause of the smoke and discovered that a fire had started in the kitchen and burned itself out.

Watch Manager Stephen Harrison said:

“The kitchen window frame had melted and the window had smashed from the heat of the fire, which we believe was caused from candles or incense sticks, which had been left burning on the windowsill.

“The fire had spread to nearby boxes and paper, which had created a lot of black smoke and ash, meaning although the fire then burned itself out, the flat has suffered smoke and fire damage.

“This incident shows how important it is to ensure that candles are secured in an appropriate holder and never left unattended.”

Follow Essex County Fire and Rescue Service’s advice when using candles:

Make sure candles are secured in a proper holder and are away from materials that may catch fire – like curtains.
Children should not be left alone with lit candles.
Put candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they’re put out completely at night.
Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.
Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, but avoid drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, sooting, and excessive dripping.
Trim the wick to ¼ inch each time before burning. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring.
Don’t move candles once they are lit.
Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations on burn time and proper use.
Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause flaring.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

1 Comment for Family made homeless after fire in Sumners:

2018-11-14 20:51:35

Just like to add fake news I or my family was not made homeless as stated no carbourd was burning the window was scorched and created black smoke when I came home the flat was just smoke filled and within 2 days it was all cleaned up we did not move out as stated and am here now and looks as normal as before I wish some people would not go over the top when saying what happens yes the fire brigade did come and thank you but please don't go over the top come back and see for yourself don't take my word for it if you think im lieing

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *