Fire service warn over use of candles after blaze in Barn Mead destroys bedroom
News / Wed 8th Nov 2023 at 07:06am
FIREFIGHTERS are warning residents about the danger of unattended candles after a bedroom was destroyed in Harlow.
Crews were called to a house fire in Barn Mead, Harlow at 4:18pm when neighbours called after hearing smoke alarms going off.
On arrival, crews reported that a bedroom was 100% smoke logged.
Firefighters wearing Breathing Apparatus entered the bedroom and extinguished the fire.
Crews believe the fire was caused by an unattended candle.
Watch Manager Jon Allan from Harlow Fire Station said: “Please keep an eye on your candles. They can be really dangerous if they are left to burn unattended. If you need to leave the room, even if it’s just for a moment, blow any candles out.
“Our advice would be to swap real candles for LED candles, they’re much safer and they can still add to the cosy atmosphere on the darker and colder nights.”