XII I II III IIII V VI VII VIII IX X XI

Over the border: Hairdryer causes bedroom fire

News / Sun 21st Jan 2024 at 08:51am

A BEDROOM fire outside Harlow was started after a hairdryer was left on the bed while it was still hot, causing the bedding to catch alight. 

Firefighters from Harlow were called to an incident in Lower Bobbingworth Green, Ongar at 10.15pm last night. 

On arrival, crews reported that there was a fire in the bedroom of an annex which was 100% smoke logged. 

Crews wore Breathing Apparatus and used hose reels jets to extinguish the fire by 11:08pm. 

The annex had no smoke alarms. 

Crews gave first aid to one person who suffered smoke inhalation and minor burns. 

Watch Manager Jonathan Allen said: “Unfortunately the fire has left the annex with significant damage. 

“These incidents highlight the importance of having a working smoke alarm, which could have alerted the residents to the fire a lot earlier. 

“The fire was caused by a hairdryer which was left on the bed while it was still hot, causing the bedding to catch alight. 

“Please take care when using hairdryers or other tools like straighteners, once you’ve finished with them, remember to unplug them at the mains and let them cool on a non-flammable surface.” 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

1 Comment for Over the border: Hairdryer causes bedroom fire:

Annett Worrall
2024-02-06 22:43:49

How imature and stupid to do such a thing. However one would assume the hairdryer was left on. Let's hope the person at fault takes responsibility. The situation could have killed someone and what with no smoke alarms!

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *