Football: Harlow through to quarter-finals of Essex Cup

Football / Wed 18th Dec 2013 at 04:17pm

Essex Senior Cup
Harlow Town 1-0 Redbridge

By Mark Wallis

A FIRST-half goal from Alex Read was enough to see Harlow Town through to the Quarter-Finals of the Essex Senior Cup as the Hawks continued their fine run with victory over Redbridge, despite going down to ten men.

The Ryman North play-off chasers have now won each of their last eight fixtures, extending an unbeaten stretch which amounts to 13 games with this latest triumph courtesy of Read’s 28th goal of the season after 20 minutes. Harlow’s cause wasn’t assisted by James Smith’s 57th-minute red card following a reckless challenge on Jack Carlile, but they held Redbridge at bay to clinch a last eight berth for the second time inside three seasons.

Despite the solitary goal, this was an exciting tie on the artificial surface at Harlow Arena, and it was the visitors who came closest to breaking the deadlock in the opening exchanges. A strong run and shot from Daniel Tenkorang saw goalkeeper James May spill the ball before recovering well to re-gather bravely at the feet of Daniel Charge.

Another fine piece of work from Tenkorang saw the wide man burst into the area before smashing a low shot against the foot of the near post, with the rebound dropping to Patrick Damali who brought a fine save from May.

In-form Harlow soon got hold of the game, and Junior Dadson had already tested visiting ‘keeper David McCartney before the hosts grabbed the only goal. It was a scrappy affair as James Smith’s shot wasn’t cleared and Leon Antoine sent a deflected effort against the foot of the post, where the prolific Read was on-hand to poke in from a matter of inches.

McCartney denied Harlow a second as he pushed away a stinging Dadson effort following Read’s knockback, while early substitute Ben Bradbury responded for the visitors as he dragged his drive along the floor just wide. Another superb save from McCartney kept Harlow out again as half time approached. This time he acrobatically tipped Layne Eadie’s fine 20-yarder over.

James Smith’s dismissal was the first real incident of the second period on 57 minutes, and the visitors almost capitalised inside three minutes with May’s superb save keeping out Bradbury’s half-volley from a Daniel Smith corner. With the game really opening up, Read’s last action of the evening saw his close-range effort kept out by McCartney following Dadson’s low centre.

Read’s replacement, Shane Stamp, found Dadson with a fine through ball and the former Aveley man then took it past McCartney before lobbing goalwards, only for the Redbridge custodian to recover brilliantly and tip over the top.

Redbridge weren’t without chances to level. Bradbury’s low drive was blocked at the near post and Tenkorang chipped too high after a twisting run. But the Motormen – semi-finalists in 2008 – couldn’t put a halt to Harlow’s fine run.

Harlow Town: James May, Robbie Martin (Ben Hart, 74), Layne Eadie, Joshua McLeod-Urquhart, Darren Williams, John Glowacki, Junior Dadson, Stanley Muguo, Alex Read (Shane Stamp, 70), Leon Antoine (George Smith, 54), James Smith. Unused Substitutes: Joe O’Donoghue, Darren Behcet.

Redbridge: David McCartney, Eljay Worrell, Daniel Smith, Liam Thomas, Stephen Good, Jack Swayer (AJ Adelekan, 86), Bostry Bansende, Jack Carlile, Daniel Charge (Ben Bradbury, 29), Patrick Damali, Daniel Tenkorang. Unused Substitutes: Michael Folonsho, James Dobson.

Bookings: Redbridge: Smith (83, foul).

Sent Off: Harlow: James Smith (57, serious foul play).

Referee: Adam Crysell (Braintree).

Assistant Referees: Richard Carter (Loughton) and Dean Skipper (Rainham).

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Football: Harlow through to quarter-finals of Essex Cup:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *