Football: Point enough to put Harlow Town back on top

Football / Mon 29th Sep 2014 at 12:15pm

Ryman Div One North

Brightlingsea Regent 1 v 1 Harlow Town

Report courtesy of www.harlowtownfootballclub.co.uk

HARLOW Town travelled to Brightlingsea Regent on Saturday and came away with a hard earned point.

A difficult afternoon for the Hawks as they came away from North Road with a point. After just 20 seconds Captain James Smith tried his luck from the half way line with a chip that narrowly missed the post. Then 3 minutes later Layne Eadiecut in from the left only to hit his shot over the bar.

Manager Danny Chapman was forced into an early change when winger Shane Stamp limped off injured and was replaced by forward Billy Jones. Regent had their first attempt after 15 minutes when forward Russell Moulton cut in past Michael Toner but shot wide of the upright.

On 23 minutes, Regents Ben Newson hit a shot straight down the midriff of Ed Thompson. On the half hour mark David Cowley hit a pass out of defence to James Smith who in turn fed Billy Jones who’s shot was palmed away by Regent stopper Luke Avenell. But 6 minutes later Avenell could not keep out a 20 yard shot from substitute Billy Jones, who gave The Hawks the lead, this was after neat play by Cowley and Smith.

Hawks nearly made it 2-0 on 38 minutes when Jones laid the ball off to Eadie who cut in from the left and his shot was tipped round the post for a corner.

On 39 minutes a James Smith corner was meet by the head of man of the match Luke Cuthbert, only to see if hit the underside of the bar and then cleared by a Regent defender. The score at halftime was Regent 0 v 1 Harlow Town

Regent came out firing for the second half and on 51 minutes Ed Thompson tipped a Matt Cripps shot round the post. Harlow responed with some good passing between Read and Smith before setting up Cowley who shot wide. Michael Toner then made the Regent goalkeeper work with a header that looked goal bound until Avenell pushed it away.

But on 59 minutes Regent were level, Phil Kelly stole the ball off of Smith in the middle of the park and run unchallenged and place the ball passed Thompson for the equaliser. Harlow then kept the ball for periods but a stubborn and well drilled Regent back line denied Harlow a winning goal, but in stoppage time Ben Newson could of sealed 3 points for Regent when he broke free down the left, but was let down by slicing his shot wide.

A draw was a fair result for both teams and was enough to put Danny Chapman’s men back top of the table.

They are next back in action on Tuesday night (30th September) with a trip to Wroxham.

 1 comment

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Football: Point enough to put Harlow Town back on top:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *