Football: Harlow back on top of the league

Football / Sun 12th Oct 2014 at 07:51pm

Ryman Div One North

Report courtesy of Harlow Town FC
By Ray Dyer

DANNY Chapman’s side had to scrap for the points at Cricklefield Stadium, a slow start on a bumpy surface from both sides with no real chances in the opening fifteen minutes. Harlow came close to opening the scoring on 17 minutes when James Smith darted down the right and crossed to the back post for Alex Read, he placed the ball across the face of goal towards Billy Jones who could not get a good connection and the ball went harmlessly wide.

On 25 minutes Read picked the ball up in the middle of the park and found Smith, he took the ball on and found Jones on the edge of the box, Jones then hit a rasping shot the hit the bar and went over. Barkingside reacted to that scare and two minutes later found themselves in front, striker Steve Carvell who scored a hat-trick for Side in there last game slotted the ball home from 2 yards after a mix up in the Hawks defence.

On 36 minutes Read had a powerful header palmed out by Side goalkeeper Chris Clark. The rebound caused a scrap in the penalty area but was cleared eventually by the home defence. Just before the break Ed Thompson came to the Hawks rescue when Carvell found himself with a great chance on the left hand side on the penalty area, he shot and Thompson managed to block his shot with his hands, but it only sent it up and back towards the Side forward, this time the striker headed towards goal but left back Layne Eadie cleared of the line to keep the score 1-0 at the break.

In the second half Barkingside came out looking to extend their lead, and on 52 minutes Thompson was the Hawks hero again when he kept out a Calvin Poku effort with his feet.

Poku tested Thompson again two minutes later, this time a magnificent right handed save kept Poku out as man of the match Thompson tipped it round the post.

Chapman had made his first substitution at Half Time with Claudio Lorenzani replacing David Kendall, and on 57 minutes the manager gave new signing George Ironton his debut, coming on for Billy Jones.

Michael Toner nearly found the Hawks an equaliser on the hour mark after he shot on the turn after a Smith corner, only to hit it straight at Clark. The hawks were now getting on top and on 65 minutes Smith sent over a corner to the back post where Read slammed the ball home from 6 yards for the equaliser. 9 minutes later and Read grabbed the winner scoring his 20th goal of the season in all competitions, Toner cleared the ball downfield which found David Cowley in space in the middle of the park, he moved forward and placed a perfect pass to Ironton on the right wing, he in turn sent a sublime pass to Read in the box who shot home from 10 yards.

Ironton nearly got on the score sheet himself on 83 minutes when Clark saved lowdown to his left, two minutes later Read thought he had got his Hat-trick, he lobbed the ball over the advancing Side keeper Clark goal-wards, but Cowley intercepted the ball with a defender approaching only to hit the post and then get flagged off-side.

Harlow saw out the remaining minutes comfortably and with this win and Needham Market in FA Cup action The Hawks went back to the top of the table by one point, but Market have a game in hand.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Football: Harlow back on top of the league:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *