XII I II III IIII V VI VII VIII IX X XI

Harlow and Essex Council apply for town-wide injunction against illegal traveller encampments

Politics / Tue 24th Feb 2015 at 11:44am

HARLOW Council and Essex County Council have applied to the High Court for a town-wide injunction protecting vulnerable land in Harlow from current and future unauthorised Traveller encampments.

After months of planning and gathering evidence for the Councils’ case, court papers have today (24 February 2015) been served on the town’s current unauthorised traveller encampments at Coldharbour Road and Horsecroft Road. The documents are also being posted today on 454 parcels of land. These sites include 320 vulnerable sites, previously occupied sites, highway verges, schools and private land identified by Harlow Council and Essex County Council, as well as 134 parcels of land that incorporate cycle tracks.

A hearing for an interim injunction is set to take place on Tuesday 3 March 2015.

Councillor Jon Clempner, Leader of Harlow Council, said: “Since last summer Harlow Council has led on trying to find a solution to this issue, exploring every single legal avenue. I am very pleased that we are now at this point with both Councils joining forces in seeking a town-wide injunction to respond to residents’ concerns. I’m not able to say anymore at this point until after the hearing. As soon as the outcome is known, we are committed to ensuring that the community is kept informed and up-to-date.”

Councillor Roger Hirst, Essex County Council Cabinet Member for Customer Services, Libraries, Planning and the Environment, said: “After months of planning by both Councils, together we have now started the legal process to get an injunction which we hope will help ease the situation in Harlow. We cannot say more until the legal process is complete.”

Harlow Council and Essex County Council fully understand the frustration persistent unauthorised encampments have caused the community and appreciate that residents and businesses will want to know more about what an injunction could mean. As there is a legal process to follow in applying for an injunction and to not jeopardise any outcome, Harlow Council and Essex County Council cannot make any further comment until after the injunction hearing.

Residents and businesses will be updated as soon as it is possible to do so.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

1 Comment for Harlow and Essex Council apply for town-wide injunction against illegal traveller encampments:

terryb
2015-02-24 18:20:41

This looks like very good news, let's hope it is the start of the end of this nightmare. Next stop, the big clear up!

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *