Football: Harlow stage great comeback to go down to the wire

Football / Sat 18th Apr 2015 at 06:33pm

Ryman Div One North

Needham Market 2 v 2 Harlow Town

HARLOW Town produced a remarkable comeback to deny Needham the championship and take the promotion battle down to the last day.

The result was a testament to Danny Chapman’s managerial skills as three deft substitutions changed the course of the second half when his team were 2-0 down.

The early exhanges were all about both teams getting the nerves out of their legs.

Harlow came out with attacking intent and it was great work by Jamie Guy that saw the Hawks win the first corner of the game.

Guy earned the second corner as well. The goalmouth scramble that ensued saw a David Cowley shot blocked by the Needham defence.

But it was Needham who opened the scoring as they cut through the Harlow defence and a shot a cross the box was put in at close range by Sam Newson.

Harlow had to come back and they certainly exerted pressure. They did and they paid the price for playing so high up,the pitch.

In the 21st minute, Luke Ingrams produced a wonderful individual run from the half way line, got to the penalty box, shot and the rebound was tucked in by that man Newson again.

The second goal took the wind out of Harlow’s sails and they looked leaderless and rudderless as Needham had them totally in control.

When Jamie Guy and David Cowley ran into each other it summed up their half. That and their woeful shooting.

Harlow came out of the traps in the second half and looked sprightly. Junior Dadson was getting round the back but the radar was still looking off.

Within the first ten minutes of the second half both Alex Read and Jared Small came on for Jamie Guy and Robbie Martin.

The difference between the teams was the front five for Needham. They were playing as a total unit.

However, Harlow got back in the 60th minute when Read got into the mix as he latched onto a Crowley cross.

The question now was whether Needham had punched themselves out

However, Harlow kept having uncertain moments at the back which gave Market hope.

Harlow had the ball in the net in 75th minute but Leon Antoine was judged to be offside. Harlow were throwing everything at Needham who were playing deeper and deeper.

And they paid for it in the 89th minute when Harlow grabbed an equaliser when Craig Pope put in a shot from close range after a David Cowley free kick

Harlow Town play Thamemead Town in the final game of the season next Saturday at the Harlow Arena.

Harlow Town Walker A, Pope C, Eadie L, Urquhart J, Goodhind W, Simms F, Martin R, Cowley D, Guy J, Antoine L, Dadson J
Subs: Matsuzaka J, Read A, Jones B, Small J, Thompson E

Needham Market. Phillips S, Brown O, Whight J, Morphew K, Hogg C, Fenn O, Ingram L, Izzet K, Newson S, Brothers M, Westlake I

Subs: Coakley D, Nunn S, Mills A, Pelling R, Crisp R

Ref A Dale

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Football: Harlow stage great comeback to go down to the wire:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *