Football: Harlow Town overpower Bedford Town

Lifestyle / Sun 13th Sep 2015 at 02:11pm

FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round

Harlow Town 5 v 1 Bedford Town

Report courtesy of Harlow Town FC

TWO goals apiece for Alex Read and Junior Dadson punished the visitors, although it wasn’t until the second half when the goals really began to flow.

Junior Dadson had given the Hawks a narrow half-time lead, but as the home attack began to turn the screw in the second half Bedford were unable to contain them. Perkins added a second, before a brace from Read put the game out of reach.

The opening period saw both teams sizing up their opposition, and despite half-chances for Ryan Melaugh and Junior Dadson, it wasn’t until mid-way through the half when the first serious sight on goal came.

Ben Glasgow sent a cross into the danger area, and Alex Read laid the ball back to Junior Dadson, who blazed over from close range. Almost immediately Bedford had a chance of their own, when the Hawks failed to clear their lines and Kyal McNulty gathered on the edge of the area. His shot went tamely wide, and he would have been disappointed not to test Niklas Freund in the Harlow goal.

The breakthrough came after half an hour. Junior Dadson broke through the defence on the right hand side, before cutting in on his left and powering his shot into the roof of the net and past helpless ‘keeper Grant Beckwith.

Dylan Gittens was looking dangerous on the left wing, but the Harlow defence were equal to everything that Bedford could produce.

The second half exploded to life within two minutes. Bedford captain Tommy Hull failed to clear in his own area, and Lewis Perkins stole the ball from him. He had time to pick his spot before placing his shot perfectly in the top corner.

Just five minutes later the Hawks were three up. Junior Dadson took the ball round Bedford left-back Mat Clifford and left him in his wake. Reaching the byline, his low cross put the ball on a plate for Alex Read who tapped in.

The three goal deficit seemed to spark the visitors to life, and they had a ten minute spell where they were desperately looking to get back into the game. Their chance came from an individual moment of skill. Dylan Gittens cut in from the left and his low shot crept into the corner.

Just a minute later, Bedford substitute Daril Ngwala then had a great opportunity to reduce the deficit to one. The ball fell to him on the penalty spot but he sliced the shot wide.

Harlow stepped up another gear, and with 15 minutes left to play they put the game beyond doubt. Ibrahima Sonko played a ball forward over the Bedford defence. Alex Read latched onto the pass, looked up, and placed the ball beyond the visiting ‘keeper.

Craig Pope thought he had got onto the scoresheet a minute later, heading home a cross at the back post, but the linesman flagged for an infringement elsewhere in the penalty box.

As the game entered injury time, Junior Dadson finished the game emphatically. He burst through the Bedford defence, and rounded the ‘keeper before side-footing home past the retreating defender on the goal-line.

FT: Harlow Town 5-1 Bedford Town

The win sees Harlow cruise through to the Second Qualifying Round, and they will find out their opponents in the draw on Monday 14th September.

The next outing for the Hawks is on Saturday 19th September, at home to Witham Town in the Ryman League. Kick off is at 3pm.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Football: Harlow Town overpower Bedford Town:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *