XII I II III IIII V VI VII VIII IX X XI

Fire Service warning after blaze in Upper Mealines

Communities / Mon 26th Oct 2015 at 05:36pm

ESSEX Firefighters quickly extinguished a kitchen fire caused by cooking in Upper Mealines in Harlow. Wearing breathing apparatus and using one hose reel jet and one dry powder extinguisher crews had put the fire out by 09:02hrs. The fire had been caused by a pan of hot fat on cooker.

Incidents like this illustrate how important it is to stay safe in the kitchen. It inly takes a moment’s inattention for cooking to turn into a potentially devastating blaze. More fires start in the kitchen than any room.

To make sure you stay as safe as possible in the kitchen:
•Avoid leaving cooking unattended and never leave children in the kitchen alone.
•Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – they can easily catch fire.
•Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
•Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls.
•Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.
•Take care when cooking with hot oil – it sets alight easily. If the oil starts to smoke – it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool. Ideally cook oven chips but if you are deep fat frying then use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer – they can’t overheat.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Fire Service warning after blaze in Upper Mealines:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *