Hockey: Mixed results for Harlow

Lifestyle / Sat 21st Nov 2015 at 02:35am

Ladies Second Team
Harlow Ladies Second Team drew 1-1 with bottom of the table Thurrock.
By Ben Light

Despite it raining for the whole day Harlow started off strong and kept most of the possession, but due to some players being away and not having their regular set up Harlow conceded a goal in 15 minutes of the game. This happened when Harlow defence of Linda Rowely, Nicole Donaghey and Olivia Figg got overcrowded in the Harlow D and the Thurrock player slipped the ball around Sandra Figg.

A run up the left side of the pitch from Hayley Leach found Laura Maynard at the top of the D, passing between Laura Maynard and Stephanie Hawes nearly got Harlow an equaliser but the Thurrock keeper was on point and saved the shots.

Harlow picked up their fighting spirit and tried their hardest to get a goal back and all looked good when Isabella Burmicz won Harlow a short corner. Sarah Alderson injected the ball to Sarah Donaghey at the top of the D who smashed the ball to the right hand side of the goal, but the goal was disallowed as it wasn’t projected to hit the back board on the first strike of the ball. This deflated Harlow further, and it took them awhile to get back into their stride.

Half time came as a rest for Harlow and allowed them to regroup and reorganise themselves. With a new found spring in their step Harlow pushed against Thurrock and got a string of short corners. Unfortunately most of the shots went wide or were just cleared by the Thurrock defence.

Just when all looked like Harlow were going to lose the game, 10 minutes before full time Harlow stepped up to their A game and lead a full onslaught against the Thurrock defence, there was a lot of touches on the ball but Catherine Bell found the ball on the post and slipped it round the Thurrock keeper giving Harlow their deserved goal.

Harlow are all set to play Old Southendians next week at home.

Ladies First Team
Winter is here
By Jayne Gilmartin
It never rains but it pours

A well organised well drilled Chelmsford began strongly down their left side with their strongest player taking advantage of the self pass rule to gain an advantage over the Harlow defence. A number of saving tackles were needed in the opening minutes but once Harlow got into their stride they took the lead through Rowena Rickett. Who dribbled past at least three of the Chelmsford defence before a one two with Jo Chambers allowed her to finish high in the net. Chelmsford came back almost immediately and equalised. Laura Hay in goal made a number of good saves but Chelmsford were able to take the lead and went into the break 2-1 up. 
Chelmsford were on the front foot knowing Harlow were down to ten players and took a greater lead just after half time when Hay was unlucky that a good save rebounded to another Chelmsford attacker. 
Harlow made a good fist of the game Sam Care was always in control of her player and Lara Horrax kept Chelmsfords strongest player under wraps but a player down were restricted in their movement going forward. An injury to midfielder Tweddle further limited the forward momentum but player of the match Rickett wasn’t to be deterred and together with Ball, Naidoo and Chambers they gave it their best. Short corner opportunities went narrowly wide from Naidoo and Tweddle. Chelmsford were able to extend their lead when a shot narrowly missed Tweddle’s head and gave Hay no chance as she was unsighted. The same player also injured Naidoo in the ribs with another wild uncontrolled shot minutes later. 
The game finished 4-1 but Harlow can be proud of their efforts and will look forward to visiting league leaders Upminster next weekend.

Mens 1

Ottley masterclass as Harlow remain undefeated at Home

Harlow battled their way to eight wins from nine this Saturday with a resilient Waltham Forest side refusing to go down easy. Adam Ottley stepped in to replace leading scorer Andy Boughtwood and showed his class having a part in all of Harlow’s goals. 

Harlow started on the front foot, pushing Forest deep into their own territory and swiftly moving the ball around the midfield. A flurry of attacks lead to a number of penalty corners which didn’t quite hit the mark and left Harlow searching for the opener. 

The breakthrough came midway through the half with Ottley and Benn Hagger neatly passing the ball between them, Hagger broke down the baseline, skipping past defenders before slipping it back to Ottley who was waiting at the penalty spot to send a thunderous shot past the keeper. 

Harlow continued the press looking to open the advantage leading into halftime, but seconds before the whistle went Forest broke from deep and as they entered Harlow’s D a goalmouth scramble ensued and it was eventually flicked high into the goal. 

Having conceded on the stroke of halftime Harlow knew they had to respond well in the second half. They immediately looked to regain the lead and within a few minutes had a penalty corner.

Ottley rifled a shot toward the bottom corner and Rhys Mace was on hand to make sure it definitely hit its mark. 

Forest started to exert some of their own pressure but this only opened up the space on the pitch and as Harlow moved the ball around Forest found themselves chasing shadows, so much so that when Ottley received the ball in the opposition D, he had time to look up, shimmy past a defender and lay it off for Cyrus Mace to slot home under the keeper. 

Harlow saw the game out in style keeping possession and ensuring all three points stayed with the leaders who are undefeated at home this season. 

Harlow also had a cup match on Sunday in the England Vase, against Cheshunt 1s. It was always going to be a tough fixture but Harlow had the game tied at 1-1 for 50 minutes before key playmaker Kyle Plumridge dislocated his shoulder. This knocked Harlow sideways and Cheshunt eventually run out 5-1 winners.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Hockey: Mixed results for Harlow:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *