XII I II III IIII V VI VII VIII IX X XI

Kitchen blaze in Waterhouse Moor

Communities / Wed 9th Dec 2015 at 05:57am

KITCHEN fire safety advice has been issued following a fire caused by take-away food being left on a hob.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus broke into an unoccupied ground floor flat at Moor House to extinguish the fire by 12:18hrs (Tues Dec 8th).

Take-away food and package left on the hobs caught alight, setting off the fire alarm.

One hose reel was used to extinguish the fire.

Station Officer Dan Byatt said: “Food packaging was left on the hob overnight and the owner left the flat today with the cooker on.

“Fortunately, the smoke alarm alerted a passer-by. Always make sure you switch cooking devices off before leaving the home and never leave food or fat on the hob.”

Incidents like this illustrate why it is so important to stay fire safe in the kitchen.

More fires start in the kitchen than any other room and cooking is the most common cause of fires in the home. Last year 56% of Essex house fires started in the kitchen and cooking was responsible for five fires a week.

To make sure you stay as safe as possible in the kitchen:

• Avoid leaving cooking unattended and never leave children in the kitchen alone.

• If you have to leave the kitchen to answer the door or send a text, turn off the cooker.

• Never leave children alone whilst cooking – what’s more important, your text or your child?

• Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – they can easily catch fire.

• Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.

• Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls.

• Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.

• Take care when cooking with hot oil – it sets alight easily. If the oil starts to smoke – it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool. Ideally cook oven chips but if you are deep fat frying then use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer – they can’t overheat.

• Never try to cook after a night out drinking. It is far better to grab a kebab on the way home than to attempt to cook while intoxicated.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Kitchen blaze in Waterhouse Moor:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *