Football: Harlow grab away point at Canvey Island

Football / Wed 31st Aug 2016 am31 07:49am

Ryman Premier

Canvey Island 1 v 1 Harlow Town

Report courtesy of Ian Barham at www.harlowtownfootballclub.co.uk

ALTHOUGH it was a key away point, Harlow Town went away feeling they could have grabbed all three at canvey Island on Bank Holiday Monday.

Canvey Island created the first serious chance at goal when a corner was crossed in from the right. Lee O’Leary flicked the ball back across goal to Ryan O’Rawe who could only head over from close range.

Fabion Simms then went close for the visitors when his shot from just inside the area sent Canvey stopper Conor Gough sprawling to keep it out. The loose ball fell to Alex Read but his follow up shot was also saved well.

Harlow took the lead on 22 minutes when Layne Eadie’s good ball from the left found Fabion Simms in the box. Simms brought the ball under control with his first touch before slotting home past the stranded goalkeeper.

Ryan O’Rawe could have equalised for the hosts, but his unmarked header inside the box went wide of the post.

The Hawks had a similar effort at the other end, when Syrus Gordon’s cross was met by Craig Pope, but he couldn’t put the header on target.

HT: Canvey Island 0-1 Harlow Town

Harlow ‘keeper David Hughes saved well to deny Martin Tuohy when he was through on goal, before a well-timed recovering tackle from captain Craig Pope prevented Canvey striker George Sykes from scoring a certain goal.

The equaliser came on 76 minutes. A corner was cleared as far as Lee O’Leary who chipped the ball back into the danger area. George Sykes was on hand to head home for a close-range finish.

Canvey Island were reduced to ten men in the final minutes. Luis Morrison was shown a yellow card for a foul, followed by a second yellow card eight minutes later. The Canvey player will feel that the first caution was a harsh decision, but can have no complaints about the second booking after he prevented Syrus Gordon from bursting through the defence with a tug on his shirt.

Both sides had good opportunities to win the game in the final minutes. Mario Noto’s free kick found Piers Wixon at the post, but the Harlow striker couldn’t convert the chance from a tight angle.

The hosts then went close in injury time, as Tony Stokes saw his long-range effort deflected out of play.

Both sides will be happy with a point in a hotly contested game, and the two teams can look back on a successful Bank Holiday weekend having earned four points each.

FT: Canvey Island 1-1 Harlow Town

The result leaves Harlow 15th in the league table, with seven points from the opening six games.

The Hawks are in FA Cup action next, hosting Romford on Saturday 3rd September. Kick off is at 3:00pm.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Football: Harlow grab away point at Canvey Island:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *