Parsloe go down fighting in Essex Sunday Cup

Football / Wed 10th May 2017 at 05:27pm

essex-senior-cupGlobal 4-3 Parsloe Athletic, Sunday 30th April 2017, Kick-Off 10:30am, Thames Road, Essex Sunday Premier Cup Final.

GLOBAL made amends for 2016’s Essex Sunday Premier Cup Final defeat by coming from behind to win the 2017 competition in a thrilling final against Parsloe Athletic at Concord Rangers FC.

An excellent solo effort from Joe Pearman, his second goal of the game, earned a 4-3 win for Global in extra time after Parsloe had scored in the opening and closing seconds of a contest which finished 3-3 after 90 minutes. Junior Cup runners-up in both 2014 and 2015, it was a third heartache for Parsloe, who led inside the 1st minute through Dean McAteer’s free kick.

But it was a “perfect day” for Global boss George Christou, who combines his role as Manager of the Essex Sunday Football Combination outfit with that of Reserve Team boss at Thurrock, whose First Team he then saw win promotion in dramatic fashion just hours later. He reflected on a double success for some of his side.

“Our players George and Ronnie Winn, as well as my brother, play for Thurrock and they weren’t available for our game as they had to meet early for the Play-Off Final [vs Maldon & Tiptree in the Ryman North],” George said. “Ronnie then went on to score an excellent winner and all our team were over there. Ronnie ran over to our boys to celebrate! We went back to Thurrock afterwards and it’s fair to say we had a good night!”

Of Global, Christou is keen to look at the spirt of his side as a crucial part of their success: “After 30 seconds it looked like the outcome could’ve been different and we conceded a goal before ten of our players had touched the ball! We responded well, got ourselves level before half time and came out well in the second half. But credit to Parsloe. They scored a second just a few minutes after our third and then hit us with a last-minute equaliser.”

Global’s cause in extra time wasn’t assisted by both Loui Hazlewood and James Zanelli being sent off either side of Pearman’s winner, but Christou was relieved to praise his side in adversity: “There were some despondent faces at the end of 90 minutes after conceding a goal so late, although we thought chances would still come.”

“As it happens, the first red card came before the chances and I’d say we only had one more chance, but Joe Pearman has been fantastic for us all season and he scored a brilliant goal. We then had to hang on with nine men. It was easy to think we’d blow our chance after that, but we were excellent.”

Parsloe’s perfect start inside the first 60 seconds saw a 35-yard free kick from McAteer catch the wind, evade goalkeeper Joe Insole and drop into the net. But, with still only 8 minutes played, Global levelled as Kiel Chandler’s corner was met low by Craig Hall, who beat stopper Adam Dalby. Hall saw a shot hit the crossbar before being denied by Dalby having been played through on goal, but the tie remained level at the break.

Just four minutes after the re-start Global grabbed the lead. Hazlewood slid a pass to Pearman, who steered the ball past Dalby and inside the near post before it was 3-1 just two minutes later, Chandler taking advantage of a defensive mix-up to slot home. On 58 minutes Parsloe pulled the tie back to 3-2. A corner wasn’t fully cleared and the ball was recycled back into the box, Terry Foskett was on-hand to score.

Parsloe ‘keeper Dalby made a good stop to tip Hall’s free kick over the top and keep his side in the game before they levelled a minute into added time in spectacular fashion. Ricky Cooke fired into the top corner from 25 yards to send the final to extra time.

Global’s Hazlewood was dismissed just three minutes into extra time but, two minutes into the second period of the additional time, Global won the contest. Pearman waltzed through the Parsloe defence before curling home a fine finish. A further two minutes later, Zanelli’s second caution saw Global reduced to nine men, but they saw out more than ten remaining minutes to seal a first Premier Cup success.

Global: Joe Insole, Morgan Seaman, David Leech, Ryan Franklin, Dean Hall, James Barlow, Kiel Chandler, James Zanelli, Craig Hall, James Clarke, Joe Pearman. Substitutes (repeated): Loui Hazlewood, Daniel Loynes, Sam Grainger, Oliver Bush.

Parsloe Athletic: Adam Dalby, Adam Williams, Chris Bartlett, Charlie Burns, Dean McAteer, Ricky Cooke, Alfie Branch, James Thomas, Andy Fleming, Andy Elgar, Lewis Tweddell. Substitutes (repeated): Michael Laronde, Stuart Grieves, Chris Webb, Joe Bolt, Terry Foskett.

Bookings: Global: Hall (59, foul), Barlow (68, foul), Chandler (102, foul), Zanelli (105, dissent), Zanelli (109, foul), Franklyn (118, foul). Parsloe: Bartlett (79, foul), Williams (90+1, entering the field of play without permission), Thomas (93, foul).

Sent Off: Global: Hazlewood (93, violent conduct), Zanellu (109, second bookable offence).

Referee: Aaron Farmer (Colchester).

Assistant Referees: Farai Hallam (Redbridge) and Patrick Yates (Harlow).

Fourth Official: Adam Humphreys (Billericay).

Attendance: 144.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Parsloe go down fighting in Essex Sunday Cup:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *