Man jailed for six years for sex attack on child in Little Brays
Crime / Mon 3rd Sep 2018 pm30 03:47pm
A 41-year-old man who kidnapped and sexually assaulted a girl during an opportunistic attack in Harlow last year has been sentenced to a lengthy jail term.
At the conclusion of a six-day trial on Monday, July 30, Darren Sellen, of Church Leys, Harlow, was found guilty of kidnap, kidnap with intent to commit a sexual assault and sexual assault on a child under 13.
On Friday, August 31, he appeared again at Chelmsford Crown Court, and was sentenced to six years imprisonment and another four years on licence.
At around 3.30pm on Thursday, November 2, 2017, a girl was walking from Bush Fair and crossed Tillwicks Road, when Sellen came from behind her and put his hands over her mouth and eyes.
He then dragged her towards some garages before sexually assaulting her.
Two people who had witnessed Sellen grab the victim, who was aged under 13, quickly came to her aid before calling police.
In court, it was noted that Sellen was seen on CCTV following the victim and making sure she was alone before attacking her.
Officers who reviewed CCTV following the incident, saw that Sellen was wearing the same clothing described by the victim.
He was also caught on camera fleeing the crime scene.
Sellen was arrested the next day on Friday, November 3.
At sentencing, a Sexual Harm Prevention Order imposed on Sellen following a previous sexual offence, was also extended and will be in place for life. At the time of the incident in July, he was being recalled to prison after a technical breach of his parole for this previous sexual offence.
The Sexual Harm Prevention Order means that on release, Sellen will have to adhere to a number of conditions for life. Included in these, are strict restrictions on physical proximity to children under 16.
Detective Constable Ryan Burgess, of Harlow CID, who led the investigation, said:
“I would like to praise the victim for her bravery during this investigation. She has shown an enormous amount of courage throughout, and gave us key descriptions of Sellen.
“Sellen is a sexual predator and a very dangerous individual who continues to refuse to admit his terrible actions, but who has now been brought to justice.
“The severity of his crimes are reflected in the sentence imposed and I hope that this will help to bring some closure and comfort to the victim as she moves on from this ordeal.
“I would also like to thank the two people who helped her, and whose actions were recognised in crown court for outstanding public duty.”
A 10-year restraining order in relation to the victim and her immediate family was also granted.
In court, the two witnesses who came to her aid, were each awarded £500.
What do they class as a lengthy sentence? Why was he out on Parole when he was a danger to children? This worries me greatly as she wash on her way home from school. I was in stile croft park with my daughter and her friend when some bloke looked over and told us to keep an eye on our children as there was a pervert around. I immediately phoned my hubby who phoned the safe neighbourhood team who in turn called the police. Well done to the young lady for coming forward and showing courage that another sexual predator is off our streets.
1 Comment for Man jailed for six years for sex attack on child in Little Brays: