Emirates FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round Report

Football / Sun 9th Sep 2018 pm30 06:14pm

Saturday 8th September

Emirates FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round

AFC Hornchurch 1  Harrow Borough 0

Basildon United 0 Peterborough Sports 2

Bowers & Pitsea 5 Takeley 1

Brentwood Town 2 Haringey Borough 3

Cambridge City 3  Brightlingsea Regent 4

Coggeshall Town 1 Berkhamsted 1

Great Wakering Rovers 3  Wisbech Town 1

Hendon 1  Harlow Town 1

Heybridge Swifts 2 Newmarket Town 0

Romford 1 Kettering Town 4

Saffron Walden Town 0 St Ives Town 0

Walthamstow 0  Beaconsfield Town 2


AFC Hornchurch booked their place into Monday’s 2nd Qualifying Round draw after ekeing out a slender 1-0 win over Harrow Borough. The tie was goalless at half-time but Brad Warner’s goal three minutes after the break was enough to see the Urchins move on. Basildon United suffered a 2-0 reverse at home to Peterborough Sports. The visitors from the Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central took the lead in the 10th minute via Josh McCammon and secured the victory when Paul Malone added a second in the second period to see the Bees off. Brentwood Town took a very early lead against Haringey Borough; Sam Carter handed the Blues the lead with only three minutes on the clock, but Georgios Aresti equalised two minutes later. Both teams had their chances but it looked like the Blues were on their way when Ayton Coley handed them the lead in the 81st minute. But Chinedu McKenzie put Haringey back on level terms two minutes from time; with time running out Karl Akinwande then popped up to break Brentwood’s hearts by scoring a last minute winner for Haringey Borough.  A Titanic struggle also took place at the Glassworld Stadium as Cambridge City entertained Brightlingsea Regent which the visitors won 4-3. The hosts were handed the lead twice via James Hall and Ryan Sharman, but on each occasional Regent pegged them back with Matthew Baxter and Jake Clowsley providing the levellers. Billy Hunt then fired Regent into a 3-2 lead and it looked like he had wrapped it up when he made it 4-2 in the 81st minute from the penalty spot. Cambridge City however were awarded a penalty themselves in the 89th minute which was duly despatched by Ryan Sharman, but it was too late for his team to get back into the game.


Tevan Allen’s 55th minute goal for Coggeshall Town ensures that the Seed Growers are still involved in the FA Cup. The hosts had been trailing to a 13th minute Berkhampsted Town goal that was scored by Emmanuel Folarin until Allen’s goal booked a midweek replay.  Hendon and Harlow Town will also be facing each other again after their first encounter on Saturday ended in a 1-1 draw. Adu Gyamfi supplied the Harlow goal in the 25th minute but Hendon equalised via Ricardo German. Saffron Walden Town put in a fantastic effort against St Ives Town in front of 521 people at Catons Lane but the game ended goalless and so they, too,  will go at it again on Tuesday evening. It means the Bloods will go into the 2nd Qualifying Round draw on Monday. Sadly the other two Essex Senior League teams crashed out of the FA Cup. Takeley found themselves gunned down by David Knight who went on to score four goals, the first of which came as early as the second minute. He then rifled home a penalty in the 30th minute and then completed his hat-trick eight minutes later; the game was already slipping away but a minute later the game was now out of their grasp as Lewis Manor made it 4-0 to Bowers. Charlie Cole pulled one back just before the break but it wasn’t enough to start a Takeley revival; in any case Knight then added his fourth in the 50th minute to wrap up a comfortable win for the Bostik North side. Walthamstow held Beaconsfield Town until the 55th minute when Louis Stead fired the Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division South side into the lead. Alex Cathline popped up to give his side a two-goal cushion ten minutes later and that was enough to end Walthamstow’s Cup campaign for another season.


Great Wakering Rovers actually fell behind to an Alex Beck goal for Wisbech Town. But Stephen Butterworth levelled up just before the break, then Ollie Woodhouse and Jack Renew scored in the second half to see Great Wakering Rovers win the tie 3-1. Heybridge Swifts have now negotiated two qualifying rounds as they look to emulate last season’s FA Cup heroics. Newmarket Town would have pulled off a shock result if they were to have won on Saturday. Heybridge went on to win the game 2-0 to progress but it wasn’t until over an hour had been played before they broke the deadlock; Samuel Bantick opened the account and Nicholas Brown then closed it in the 83rd minute to see Heybridge Swifts continue their FA Cup run. Romford played their FA Cup game on Sunday but came unstuck by braces from Brett Solichon and Rhys Hoeness; Kurt Smith had managed to level the tie for Romford in the 52nd minute but Boro were on level terms for all of three minutes before their visitors then pulled away to collect the prize money and a place in the next round.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Emirates FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round Report:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *