Football: Stansted battle to victory

Football / Sun 28th Oct 2018 at 09:40pm











Photo by Philip Lindhurst

Stansted 2 Redbridge 1

Essex Senior League

Saturday 27th October

Stansted started the day top of the table on goal difference, but ended the day two points clear of Hullbridge Sports after they took care of business at Hargrave Park. Hullbridge could only get a point from a 1-1 draw with Ilford. Redbridge could have got something out of this game, they certainly gave Stansted something to think about, but Paul Pittuck’s men showed resilience and were able to ground out a win that

The Airportmen were nearly gifted the lead in the opening five minutes as a Marcus Carter backpass was intercepted by Callum Ibe, but before Stansted’s top scorer could do anything dangerous, Lewis Greene was off his line and did enough to put Ibe off as he could only fire his shot wide from an acute angle.

Stansted took the lead in their next attempt on goal though. A free kick in the 9th minute saw Connor Hammond drill his initial shot into the Redbridge wall, but he did a lot better with the rebound, firing it into the bottom right hand corner.

A Billy Coyne free kick continued the Stansted onslaught, with the ball being headed goalwards by Jack West which Lewis Greene saved. But then Redbridge crafted an opening of their own with Tyrell Miller stinging the hands of Charlie Turner. Jack Stevenson then switched on; two deep crosses requiring Turner to come out and claim the ball.

Stansted are quick on the counter, with Ibe a constant threat and in the 20th minute he sped down the right flank, cut inside and placed a shot narrowly wide.

Redbridge however drew level two minutes later. A ball swept into the Stansted box and Miller finished the job off in some style.

The goal seemed to stir Stansted, Ibe in particular who single-handedly created two chances. The first occasion saw him cut inside Carter and flash a shot across Greene’s goal; then a mix-up between Murphy and Carter allowed Ibe to sneek in and have another close effort. Redbridge had Stevenson and Miller involved in most of their forward play; a wonderful three man move, that also involved Liam Burgess ended up winning the Motormen a corner. And the leaders had to relay on the cross bar coming to their aid when Stevenson was able to lob Turner in the 30th minute.

Redbridge were certainly giving Stansted a game but the hosts nearly re-took the lead when Hammond went agonisingly close with a diagonal shot. And Greene had to show safe hands, and a degree of bravery, as he came out to collect a West header whilst under heavy pressure from Matt Frew. But Redbridge also saw out the half having had a sniff themselves. Larry Asare very nearly latched onto Calvin Poku’s through ball, West doing enough to harass him off the ball. And whilst Stevenson went on to flash one wide, it was Stansted who had the last effort, with Ibe crossing to Hammond who could only direct his header straight at Greene.

Redbridge opened the half with purpose; Stevenson again putting himself about as he ran down the middle, held the ball up before laying off Miller, with Turner then pulling off a good save to tip the shot around the post. The resulting corner fell to Stevenson who drilled a shot that Frew headed off the line.

But the pendulum then swung back Stansted’s way with Ibe and Bell both having shots blocked by a Redbridge defence, marshalled by Captain Murphy, that worked hard to keep Ibe and co at bay. Redbridge’s front men may have been kept quiet but Stevenson continued to be a threat, blazing a shot wide in the 55th minute. But the first save of the half wasn’t until the 62nd minute, it was Greene that had to make it, getting down low to stop a West effort.

Fortune dealt Redbridge a hard hand when Shaquel Foyewa was dismissed for a foul on Ibe. It seemed harsh, but for now Redbridge had to defend a free kick, with Greene getting a hand to Coyne’s curling effort.

Redbridge’s defence had been solid, but losing one of that team maybe unsettled them a little as Stansted’s second goal in the 74th minutecame primarily because Redbridge had not been able to clear their lines. A free kick swept across Redbridge’s six yard box, and the ball bobbled about dangerously allowing Jordan Palmer then the opportunity to stab the ball home.

It then became ten against ten as Ibe received his marching orders for lashing out at a Redbridge player. And that allowed Redbridge to stem Stansted’s flow a little bit and they came oh so close to getting an equaliser late on. Miller again sped down the right and centred to Anthony Gomez who had a shot blocked on the line by Frew. Stevenson then went close with one last ditch shot, as Redbridge tried in vain to get something from the game.

Stansted had managed to grind out a result, something that is required on route to winning titles. The Airportmen now lead the table by two points while Redbridge are sinking closer to the bottom reaches of the table.

Stansted: Charlie Turner, Jamie Bennett, Billy Coyne (Capt), Sam West, Matt Frew, Paul Clayton (Courtney Homans 80’), Callum Ibe, Ollie Bell (Paul Preston 63’), Jack West, Jordan Palmer, Connor Hammond (Lewis Stantiall 90’).

Scorers – Connor Hammond (10’), Jordan Palmer (74’).

Redbridge: Lewis Greene, Shaquel Foyewa, Marcus Carter (Tommie Turner 46’), Liam Burgess, Vinny Murphy (Capt), Quincy Egbejale, Terrell Miller, Sam Phillips, Calvin Poku (Anthony Gomez 71’), Jack Stevenson, Larry Asare.

Scorer – Tyrell Miller (22’).


Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Football: Stansted battle to victory:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *