Stansted’s Rise Up Table Continues

Football / Sun 24th Nov 2019 pm30 03:22pm

(Photo by Daniel Brett)


Stansted 3 Clapton 0

Essex Senior League

Saturday 23rd November

Report by Matt North

Stansted continued their rise up the ESL table with a hard fought 3-0 victory over strugglers Clapton. After struggling to break the Tons down in the first half, the Airportmen got the job done in the end to move into 6th spot. Meanwhile, despite being a threat before conceding, Clapton’s struggles continue and sit second from bottom but Stansted deserved their victory.


The opening stages of the game saw Stansted on the back foot with Clapton more dominant. The visitors were awarded a free kick on eight minutes after Jay Antwi-Nyame was fouled just outside the area. Jayke Welch stepped up and came extremely close as his effort beat George Marsh but the crossbar was there to deny him. The ball rebounded back out to Prince Mamboli but his attempt hit the side-netting.


However, Stansted themselves had a great chance to go in front on 22 minutes as Sam West delivered a free kick into the box. The ball was headed onto Connor Hammond, who found his headed effort saved superbly by William Hunt. Two minutes later and Hammond came close again as Ash Siddik picked out the forward on the far side. Hammond ran towards goal and found his strike kept out again by Hunt.


The hosts were soon on the attack moments later and this time Dan Cheema was played through on goal and in a one-on-one situation, he was denied. Clapton keeper Hunt made some superb saves to keep the score at goalless. The visitors soon had a chance up the other end as Mario Gjini passed to Antwi-Nyame, who took a good touch but found his attempt blocked. Nine minutes later and the Tons had another chance as Zak Muhammed saw his effort on the edge of the area fire inches over the bar.


Stansted were soon back on the attack though and Ryan Ramsey spotted Hammond out wide and found his powerful strike hit the side netting. Towards the late stages of the first half and Clapton had another free kick in a dangerous area. Muhammed stepped up for the away side this time and came close yet again. He set piece dipped over the wall and was on target but keeper Marsh was on hand to make a fine stop. That was the last action of the opening 45 minutes as both sides went in at the break goalless. Surprisingly, neither Stansted nor Clapton were yet to find the back of the net as both sets of goalkeepers made some great saves to keep the match deadlocked. However, with the chances both teams had, the game was surely not going to end 0-0.


Into the second period and opening stages were very dry chances wise as neither keeper was yet to be tested. The first opportunity of the half came on 62 minutes after some great dribbling by Clapton’s Muhammed but his final shot proved to be weak. Four minutes later and Stansted were at it again as Hammond played the ball to Cheema in the middle where the Hunt was again on hand to deny him.


The Airportmen were continuing to be a threat and this time Jack Mitchell looked to score. Paul Clayton fed Mitchell in on goal where the winger’s drilled attempt was caught by keeper. However, Stansted’s persistence at last paid off as with 21 minutes to go, they broke the deadlock and a great way to do so. Cheema made a terrific run towards goal where he unselfishly passed to Hammond who fired home into the bottom corner. Hunt did a get a hand to his shot but unfortunately for him, couldn’t prevent the hosts from taking the lead.


Stansted were soon finding some rhythm to their game after scoring and four minutes later, they doubled their advantage. Cheema was played in and bursted through on goal and after shrugging off the defence, calmly put away a neat finish. The game was starting be put beyond reach of Clapton and in the dying embers of the match, the Airportmen made certain of three points. Substitute Jack West was played in on goal and races through to apply a very good low driven effort in for 3-0.


That was the last action of the game as Stansted at last broke down Clapton to take all three points. It certainly was a well deserved result for the Airportmen as they recorded their sixth straight victory in the Essex Senior League whilst Clapton have suffered their fourth straight defeat which has them in 18th. This result for Stansted and their current form will give them some huge confidence ahead of next weekend’s FA Vase match against Stowmarket Town.


Stansted: 1. George Marsh, 2. Adam Fowles, 3. Louis Monk, 4. Sam West, 5. Joe Clark, 6. Paul Clayton (Capt), 7. Dan Cheema, 8. Ash Siddik ( 13. Billy Coyne), 9. Jack Mitchell, 10. Ryan Ramsey (18. James Briggs), 11. Connor Hammond ( 12. Jack West).

Scorers –  Connor Hammond (69′), Dan Cheema (73′), Jack West (90+3′)

Clapton: 1. William Hunt, 2. Bieron Ademi, 3. Daniel Emovon, 4. Henry Mabassa, 5. Cory Rider (Capt), 6. Mohamed Mahmoud, 7. Prince Mamboli (15. Val Iheanyiogu), 8. Jayke Welch (12. Jordan Cornelius), 9. Jay Antwi-Niamey, 10. Zak Muhammed ( 14. Jayesh Gohil), 11. Mario Gjini.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Stansted’s Rise Up Table Continues:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *