Berecroft: Woman injured after cooking with hot oil incident
News / Sun 3rd Jul 2022 at 11:06am
ESSEX Firefighters are urging people to take care when cooking with hot oil this morning, following an incident in Harlow last night where a woman was injured after pouring water on a hot frying pan.
Crews from Harlow were called to Berecroft at 9.11pm after neighbours heard a smoke alarm going off. On arrival, they found a woman had been rescued from the property by a neighbour who had raised the alarm, they were both suffering from the effects of the smoke.
It is thought the woman had been cooking using a frying pan with hot oil and then had run it under the tap which caused a flash. The fire was extinguished by 9.50pm. The kitchen has been left smoke damaged.
Watch Manager Mark Curtis said: “Never put water on hot oil. When you have finished cooking turn off the heat and leave it to cool. There was a working smoke alarm in the property which went off and alerted a neighbour who raised the alarm and helped. We’d like to thank him for what he did.”
Please follow our advice when cooking with oil and share it with your elderly neighbours and family.
We offer free home safety visits to give advice. You can book one by calling 0300 303 0088 or on our website.
Our top safety tips are:
More cooking safety tips are available on our advice page.
They really should not have stopped teaching home economics at school. I mean, poring water on hot oil and not knowing the danger, this is basic stuff. I seriously hope that they make a full recovery from this, the outcome could have been much worse.
Perhaps they should have also taught you how to spell “pouring”.
So sarcastic!!! Poring or pouring, still understand what is being said.
Thanks Thor, I was totally perplexed until you corrected the spelling error.
4 Comments for Berecroft: Woman injured after cooking with hot oil incident: