Football: Harlow maintain unbeaten start to season

Football / Sun 28th Aug 2022 at 06:40am

Southern League Central Division

Biggleswade Town 2 v 2 Harlow Town

Report courtesy of Aaron Moore at Harlow Town FC

HARLOW picked up their second point in as many games in the Southern League after being held on the road to Biggleswade on Saturday afternoon. 

A first goal from Aleko Aliaj and another for Hani Berchiche had given the Hawks a 2-0 lead going into the break, but a lapse allowed FC to bring it level before the game ended square. The hosts had put the Hawks under pressure in the opening minutes as they sought an early goal, but Harlow dealt with it well before Berchiche almost capitalised on a loss of possession, but his effort rattled the bar. 

Both sides come forward, but couldn’t find the breakthrough. The Hawks used the long throw, but Biggleswade defended well before Charlie Hayford pulled the trigger for the hosts, but his effort was fired over the bar. The deadlock was broken halfway through the first half as Berchiche latched onto a Narcis Filip cross, heading it beyond the FC keeper.

The goal had given the Hawks confidence as they continued to come forward, but there was no reward. A couple of crosses were aimed towards the far post, but no one was there to tap home before the hosts managed to clear another ball after a couple of attempts. Jimmy Wallace had a chance to double the Hawks lead, but header an effort over from six yards out. 

The pressure paid off just before half-time as Aliaj doubled the Hawks’ lead. Berchiche turned provider as he slotted Aliaj through, with the latter cooly taking round the FC keeper and tucking it home.

The Hawks looked to get on the front foot in the opening minutes of the second half, starting how they had ended the first, but FC defended well. The hosts had a couple of chances themselves, but a volleyed from Bond was defended well and an effort from Oswick went just wide. 

Biggleswade continued to push for a goal as they sought to pull one back, but they couldn’t quite find the back of the net. A ball was headed away at the near post by the Hawks before Bond sent an effort wide of the post and Lawrie March headed just wide. The Hawks had chances to extend their lead, relieving the pressure from FC, but Berchiche was denied by a great save.

FC pulled one back with just over 15 minutes to play as Adam Hunt drove the ball beyond Nwosu, before they continued to seek an equaliser. James was denied and Dreyer looped a header over, before the equaliser came just nine minutes later as Charlie Hayford sent a free-kick into the back of the net. The Hawks found themselves under some pressure in the closing stages, but FC couldn’t add a third as the referee brought the game to an end at 2-2.

Harlow – Nwosu, Folkes, Eadie, Steele, Wallace, McIntosh (Attrill 59), Filip (Nzeh 76), Gordon, Small, Aliaj, Berchiche (James 90)

Biggleswade – Green, Hunt, Oswick (Lynn 84), L.Marsh, Wedd, George, A.Marsh, Hayford, Bond James 74), Coles (Crosbie 86), Dreyer

Match data

Goals: Harlow – Berchiche 22, Aliaj 42; Biggleswade – Hunt 72, Hayford 81

Yellow cards: Harlow – Steele 90+2; Biggleswade – Wedd 88

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Football: Harlow maintain unbeaten start to season:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *