XII I II III IIII V VI VII VIII IX X XI

“Drinking and cooking don’t mix” as couple rescued from Rectory Wood blaze

News / Sun 13th Apr 2014 at 08:57am

FIRE CREWS carried two unconcious people out of a flat following a kitchen fire in the early hours of Sunday morning in Rectory wood, Harlow.

Crews in breathing apparatus carried the man and woman out of the block within minutes if arriving at the incident. They were left in the care of the Ambulance Service.

Using two hose reel jets crews had extinguished the fire – which started on a hob – by 01:41hrs.

A spokesman for ECFRS said: “Our firefighters attend hundreds of fires a year which originate in the kitchen. Cooking is one of the major causes of fires in the home and even the smallest kitchen fire can cause devastation to your home and leave loved ones injured or even killed.

“Drinking and cooking simply do not mix. Time and again firefighters have been called to fires in the home and found a pan of food on the stove and someone sound asleep on the sofa. This is a deadly combination, just three breaths of smoke can be enough to kill.”

To make sure you stay as safe as possible in the kitchen:

– Avoid leaving cooking unattended and never leave children in the kitchen alone.
– Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – they can easily catch fire.
– Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
– Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls.
– Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.
– Take care when cooking with hot oil – it sets alight easily. If the oil starts to smoke – it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool. Ideally cook oven chips but if you are deep fat frying then use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer – they can’t overheat.
– Never try to cook after a night out drinking. It is far better to grab a kebab on the way home than to attempt to cook while intoxicated.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for “Drinking and cooking don’t mix” as couple rescued from Rectory Wood blaze:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *