Fire service issue warning after fire in The Fortunes

News / Wed 7th Oct 2015 at 08:02am

ESSEX firefighters were called to a kitchen fire in a semi-detached house in The Fortunes in Harlow on Tuesday night (2100 hrs). On arrival crews reported that the oven was alight and the ground floor was heavily smoke logged. Crews wearing breathng apparatus used one hose reel jet to extinguish the fire by 21:14hrs.

Firefighters administered first aid to a woman occupant who suffered burns to her arms. She was left in the care of the Ambulance Service.

More fires start in the kitchen than any other room in the home so it is important to be extra careful when cooking.

Divisional Officer Neil Fenwick said: “Our firefighters attend hundreds of fires a year which originate in the kitchen. Cooking is one of the major causes of fires in the home and even the smallest kitchen fire can cause devastation to your home and leave loved ones injured or even killed.

To make sure you stay as safe as possible in the kitchen:

Avoid leaving cooking unattended and never leave children in the kitchen alone.
Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – they can easily catch fire.
Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls.
Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.

Take care when cooking with hot oil – it sets alight easily. If the oil starts to smoke – it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool. Ideally cook oven chips but if you are deep fat frying then use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer – they can’t overheat.
Never try to cook after a night out drinking. It is far better to grab a kebab on the way home than to attempt to cook while intoxicated.

DO Fenwick said: “If a fire does break out in your kitchen do not attempt to tackle it yourself. Just get yourself and your family out and call the fire service, we can deal with the fire safely and quickly.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Fire service issue warning after fire in The Fortunes:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *