XII I II III IIII V VI VII VIII IX X XI

Sunlight reflecting off a crystal ball ornament caused a fire, prompting a warning from fire services. 

News / Sun 28th Jan 2024 at 09:39am

ESSEX Fire and Rescue Service were called to a house in Coopersale Street, Epping at about 15:25 GMT on Friday. 

The resident heard a smoke alarm and found a towel on fire, which was extinguished before it could spread. 

The fire service has warned of the ease with which sunlight can cause fire through reflective objects.

Watch Manager Jason Hayward said: “The occupant was using a crystal ball ornament as doorstop in the bathroom.

“The sunlight came through the window, reflected off the ornament and set fire to a pile of towels.

“This incident shows how easy it is for magnifying or reflective objects to cause fires.

“Make sure mirrors or glass or crystal objects on your window sills, dressing tables or anywhere else in your home are out of direct sunlight, particularly at this time of year when the sun is low.”

Crews from Loughton and Harlow made sure the fire was fully extinguished and helped to clear the smoke, the fire service said.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Sunlight reflecting off a crystal ball ornament caused a fire, prompting a warning from fire services. :

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *