Football: Harlow crash to bottom of the league after defeat by Stortford

Football / Mon 27th Aug 2018 pm31 03:53pm

Bostik Premier

Harlow Town 1 v 3 Bishops Stortford

THERE is one thing being beaten in a local derby but it really stings when the consequence is that you go bottom of the league.

Harlow Town were cut open time and time again in a 3-1 defeat by Bishops Stortford at the McCulloch Arena on Monday afternoon.

The first real chance of the game came in the fourth minute when Harlow’s Jason Raad blasted over the bar after a good cutback from Emile Acquah.

An unforced error by Syrus Gordon gave Stortford a corner which they could not profit on but the warning signs were there.

Josh Bexon made an impressive save as Stortford looked to strike. The Blues were walking through the defence ably assisted by veteran attacker Jamie Cureton.

Harlow’s Lawrence Vaughan’s had a good chance with a glancing header that went just over the bar.

Both teams were getting closer and you felt there was a goal coming.

There ensued a period where both teams were not doing an awful lot wrong but both failing to produce any clear chances.

You could not fault the Hawk’s industry especially South African Jason Raad who beavered away but a lot of their work was being undone (again) by losing possession in midfield.

And so it came to pass that Bishops Stortford opened the scoring through an unforced error from Harlow that allowed Olotoyosi Olusanuya to bundle the ball home from close range.

Harlow came out of the traps in the second half. A shot was cleared off the line as they tried to get back on level terms.

In the 53rd minute, Gradi Milenge should have done better with a header after a free kick was whipped in.

Next minute, Stortford made it 2-0 when Jake Cass made space in the box to fire the ball past Josh Bexon.

Harlow’s heads did not go down but in the 63rd minute, Alfie Mason made it 3-0 with a low shot in the area.

The Stortford fans were shouting easy which was a little harsh but the Harlow players need time to bed in. Whether they will get time is another matter.

The rest of the half was a workout for Stortford and a test of Harlow’s resolve. They never quit and grabbed a consolation penalty in the 88th minute (Charlie Edwards) but this could be a very long season.

Harlow return to league action next Saturday away at Leatherhead.

Harlow Town

Bexon J, Yuill L, Kissi Y, Da Cruz JJ, Milenge G (Martin R 61), Simms F, Edwards C, Gordon S, Acquah E, Raad J, Vaughan L. (Clark A 63)

Subs: Weatherhead C, Kyprianou H,

Bishops Stortford

Kitscha C, Renee J (Ronto E 88), Gregan C, Dark L, Robbins S, Adeyemi T, Mason A, Wescott J, Cureton J, Cass J (Osadebe C65)), Olusanya O

Subs: Green D, Brassington M, Nkosi I,

Referee: O Morris-Sanders

Attendnance 725

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Football: Harlow crash to bottom of the league after defeat by Stortford:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *