Rugby: Harlow fall short at Wisbech

Rugby / Thu 27th Mar 2014 at 04:16pm

Wisbech 27 v 21 Harlow

SOME good kicking by Kurtis Knightley kept Harlow in the game throughout the afternoon but missed tackles allowed the home side to take the points in a closely fought match. Skipper Shaun Roberts added another try to the two he scored in the previous match. Harlow now have a week off before they meet Wymondham in their final home match of the season the 5th April, prior to this game the club are going to try and break a world record for the longest guard of honour as the team run out, everyone is welcome to join in. A week after on the 12 April they end their league campaign away to Canvey Island. The Islanders are in bottom place so Harlow will have some explaining to do if they can’t take the points from this one.

Harlow spent the first five minutes pinned hack in their own half before Wisbech got clean possession from a scrum and moved the ball out for a try by their outside centre who cut in for the posts making it an easy conversion for a 7 point lead. Five minutes later they added another try taking advantage of missed tackles by Harlow extending their lead to 12 points. In a rare moment of Harlow pressure on Wisbech in their own half they tried to run the ball out but dropped the it. Luke Bowering swiftly picked it up and waved goodbye to their winger, scoring in the corner. With about seven minutes left Wisbech were penalized for diving on the ball to kill a ruck. Knightley slotted the penalty so that Harlow went into the interval only trailing by 12 – 8.

Harlow started the second half well, forcing two penalties against the home side in the first five minutes. Knightley put them both over to give Harlow a lead by 12 – 14. It was not to last however. Wisbech hit back with two more tries in the space of a few minutes ensuring their bonus point and putting them ahead 24 – 14. There was no scoring for the next 20 minutes before Wisbech added another three points from a penalty making it 27 – 14. Harlow hit back with only five minutes to go. Wisbech were penalized and quick thinking by Neil McMullen created the chance. He grabbed the ball and took a quick tap penalty before breaking through the middle of the defence. Finally he offloaded to Shaun Roberts who ran in the try. Knightley added the conversion reducing the margin to 27 – 21. Important for Harlow as it secured them a bonus point for a margin of 7 points or fewer. There was no further action in the final 4 minutes and the game ended 27 – 21 to Wisbech.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Rugby: Harlow fall short at Wisbech:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *