XII I II III IIII V VI VII VIII IX X XI

Police response to conviction of teenager for killing Arek Jozwik

Crime / Fri 8th Sep 2017 at 12:07pm

A teenager has been sentenced to three years in detention in connection with the death of a man in Harlow.

The 16-year-old boy, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was convicted of the manslaughter of Arkadiusz Jozwik on July 31, following a trial at Chelmsford Crown Court.

Mr Jozwik, known as Arek, was assaulted in The Stow on August 27 last year.

He suffered a brain injury and a fractured skull. He never regained consciousness and died in Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge, on August 29.

The defendant, then aged 15, was arrested and later charged with manslaughter following consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service.

The teenager, from Harlow, denied the offence but was convicted by a jury. He was sentenced today, Friday September 8.

Speaking after the hearing, Mr Jozwik’s mother, Ewa Jozwik, said: “I cannot come to terms that my loving son is no longer with us.

“All the time I can see in my mind the moment I saw him lying motionless in the hospital bed connected to the life support machine. I wanted him to wake up so badly.

“I think about him every day, I wish he could be with us. In moments like this I cannot hold back my tears. When I think about him, I always cry.

“He was healthy, a good person, and no-one had the right to take his life in such a way.

“The last year has been very difficult for our whole family.

“If not for my other son Radek, his wife and kids, I would not be able to cope.

“I came to England when my husband passed away. Arek followed shortly because he did not want to be in Poland alone. In the beginning we were living together and then my son found a place of his own nearby.

“He would visit often, come round for dinners and we would be inseparable.

“I know Arek was happy here. He felt at home in Harlow and he did not want to go back to Poland.

“He wanted to stay here and he is buried here. At his funeral, people who knew him remembered him as a good, calm person. ‘You were a dream, now
you are a memory’ are the words we placed on his gravestone.

“I do not wish upon any mother to have to bury her son and go through what I went through.

“Sometimes I think about the day he died. I remember our phone conversation when everything was fine, he was with his friends and finishing painting.

“The next day when I rang him, he did not answer. I deeply regret I did not even have a chance to say goodbye.”

Detective Chief Inspector Martin Pasmore of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: “This has been a complex and difficult investigation and my thoughts very much remain with Mr Jozwik’s family, who have lost a dearly loved son and brother in the most tragic of circumstances. While nothing will ever bring Mr Jozwik back, now the court proceedings are over, I hope his family can somehow start to rebuild their lives.

“Essex Police, working in conjunction with the Crown Prosecution Service, has carried out a huge amount of work into trying to establish the course of events that led to Mr Jozwik’s death and to find the truth of what happened.

“Whatever the reason for the events of that night, the defendant deliberately used violence against Mr Jozwik.

“While he would not have intended for it to be a fatal blow, he made a decision to move deliberately behind the victim and take him by surprise with a forceful punch. He must have appreciated this would have caused harm.”

Harlow district commander Chief Inspector Matt Cornish said: “Mr Jozwik’s death last year left residents of our town deeply shocked and my thoughts remain with his family and friends.

“Tragic incidents such as these are extremely rare and Harlow remains a safe place to live, with a strong and resilient community.

“We have been working closely with residents, the Polish community and community leaders to listen to, and address, their concerns.

“A large amount of work has gone into tackling anti-social behaviour and crime, and this will carry on to ensure people feel safe and confident in reporting incidents to us.”

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Police response to conviction of teenager for killing Arek Jozwik:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *