Rugby: Harlow win down by the Island

Rugby / Fri 18th Apr 2014 at 10:25am

London & SE Div III NE
Canvey Island 21 v 41Harlow

HARLOW came away with a comfortable win against bottom of table Canvey Island on Saturday. However the winning margin should have been much greater but for a spell of madness by Harlow that allowed them three converted tries in the space of seven minutes. A try from Harlow in this period allowed them to retain their lead and in the second half they took control again.

As a result of this, their final match of the season, Harlow finish fifth. It is a satisfactory result but could have been higher if several missed opportunities had been taken. There was some good news however with Neil McMullen and Ryan McGlone both with three tries in the last two games and two tries from Oliver Woodward on Saturday.

In the opening ten minutes Canvey kept Harlow pinned back in their own half and had one penalty chance which they missed. Then as the Harlow pack showed its dominance it was Canvey’s turn to go onto the back foot. The after 25 minutes Neil McMullen charged through brushing off two defenders to score the first try for Harlow. Knightley converted for a 0 – 7 lead. Immediately from the restart Harlow were back on the attack. Lee Harron at scrum half made a break and committed a defender while offloading to Will Grimley. Grimley’s speed was too much for the defence and he made good ground before taking out the final defender and passing to Oliver Woodward who touched down for the try. Harlow used the power of their scrum and it allowed Lee Harron making a welcome return at scrum half to make a number of solo breaks.

When Harlow were offered a penalty they opted for a scrum and Harron broke away and launch his backs who made good ground before being stopped 5 metres short of the line. Harron was first to arrive and gathered the ball before using his considerable strength to force his way over for the third try making it 0 – 17 to Harlow.

With only three minutes to half time Harlow found themselves under pressure on their 5 metre line. The ball went to ground and Harlow went down on it denying the home side possession. The result was a penalty try which Canvey converted to reduce the margin to 7 – 17. Briefly it looked as if Harlow could weather the setback. Another storming run by McMullen brought his second try and Knightley converted for 7 – 24. Almost immediately from the restart however careless Harlow passing allowed Canvey to intercept and run in a try under the posts; converted to reduce the margin to 14 -24. Then to make matters worse Harlow failed to control possession and Canvey broke away for their third try, again converted to make it 21 – 24 at half time.

From the restart Harlow made good use of their scrum dominance to control the game. An early break saw the ball passed down the line to Chris Webb at fullback who took out a defender and passed inwards to Ryan McGlone, this week back in his preferred No. 10 shirt. Ryan went over for the try and at 21 – 31 gave Harlow a two score margin. Harlow continued to dominate possession and eventually the score came when speed merchant Will Grimley got the ball and sprinted through for the try. In the final minute of the game it was Woodward who broke clear to touch done the final try and the game ended at 21 – 41 to Harlow.

Tries: Neil McMullen(2) , Oliver Woodward(2), Lee Harron, Ryan McGlone, Will Grimley

Conversions: Kurtis Knightley (3)

Team: 1 – James Ephgrave, 2 – Danny Stonehouse , 3 – Martin Cunningham, 4 – Mark Twiner, 5 – Kerry Palmer (sub Chris Ellis 70), 6 – Shaun Roberts (Capt.), 7 – Mark Bowering, 8 – Paul Eynon (sub Kain Claridge 45), 9 – Lee Harron, 10 – Ryan McGlone, 11 – Oliver Woodward, 12 – Kurtis Knightley , 13 – Neil McMullen, 14 – Will Grimley (sub Chris Ellis 75), 15 – Chris Webb (sub James Clark 45).

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

No Comments for Rugby: Harlow win down by the Island:

Leave a Comment Below:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *