Cricket: Harlow Town go down to Loughton in cup

Cricket / Tue 27th Apr 2021 at 07:04am

Alderson and Luckin heroics cannot save Harlow Town from defeat at Loughton

HARLOW Town 1st XI faced Loughton 1st XI in the opening round of the Dukes Essex League Cup. Loughton, who won the toss and chose to bat first pressured Town with some assured batting and with both batters settled at the crease and the score 98-1 it looked like Town would toil in the warm sunshine.

However, 98-1 became 98-3 in the space of 4 balls. Om Thakeria dismissed Akram, closely followed by George Richardson bowling opening batter Anwar. The 2 new batsman, Dohal and Butt, were despatched in consecutive overs by Thakeria. 

 At 131-5 Town were very much in the ascendancy and could smell an upset on the cards, however home captain Ismail Dar and his brother Naail wrestled control back to Loughton with an assured 46 partnership, Ismail eventually falling caught and bowled to Ronnie Yates and Naail being caught by Gadhvi off the bowling of Yates. Town skipper Farmer finished with a flourish bowling Ramsden and getting the wicket of Risby, who was caught by Shaun Alderson in the deep. Unfortunately Town couldn’t quite make the final breakthrough with Loughton eventually finishing on 228-9 from their 45 overs. 

Town’s final bowling figures: Chauhan (0-39 off 9), Farmer (3-37 off 9), Richardson (1-36 off 9), Yates (2-59 off 9), Thakeria (3-54 off 9).

Town would’ve hoped to start quickly in reply however some excellent bowling from Loughton youngsters Ramsden and Zachary Chauhan quickly put Loughton firmly in control, indeed after Chaunhan’s first spell of 6 overs he had only conceded 4 runs such was his control. Suraj Chauhan who had moved up the order to open the batting with Ronnie Yates fell for 6. George Richardson soon followed for 2 caught behind off the bowling of Chauhan. The Town ship looked to be steadied by brothers Ronnie and Pat Yates, however Pat was dismissed in almost identical circumstances to Richardson for 8. Ronnie who had just looking like he had settled at the crease was caught by Anwar for 16 and Town looked in trouble at 35-4. Connor Teale added 9 runs before being caught playing an expansive shot. Town captain Farmer entered and returned to the hutch after only adding 4 runs and an early afternoon looked likely. 

Town were looking stranded on 61-6, however Vaibhav Gadhvi and Shaun Alderson put on 48 for the 7th wicket, Gadhvi was caught for 14 by Ismail Dar but may feel unlucky that the ball was not called a no-ball. Om Thakeria scored 5 runs before also being caught by Ismail Dar. Alderson and new batsman Luckin together added an excellent 64 for the 10th wicket, 20 of these runs off the bat of Luckin. As the run rate pressure was now very high for Town Alderson was caught by Anwar for an excellent 74. Town third team skipper James Williamson, a late replacement for the injured Goddard, was Town’s number 11, he finished 4 not out, as Luckin was out for 21, stumped by Naill Dar. Town finished on 192 all out, losing by 36 runs. Although Town were not victorious they should feel proud of their efforts in clawing back the game against a full strength team from the division above.  

Harlow Town 2nd XI hosted Loughton 2nd XI and were victorious in an exciting game, winning with the final ball of the game. Town were able to restrict Loughton to 165, with Daniel Glesson the pick of the bowlers picking up 3 wickets, other wickets were also picked up by Vineet Jain, Dan Dewey, Taylor Wood and Simon Rowell. Gleeson also scored 34 in reply with youngster Hansel Dave scoring a well worked 22. Ben Tyne finished 57 not out, including scoring the winning run off the last ball of the match.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Comments Coming Soon